Create in our community in the woods!
Our largest indoor creation space is a 1,000 sq ft (22’ by 45’) dance studio. It has linoleum-topped sprung wood dance floor, sunlight, radiant floor heating, 15’ of mirrors, two beams for aerial rigging, a piano, and a stereo. This space is available and accessible 24 hrs a day (quiet hours from 11:11 pm to 8:08 am) except when booked privately (in general 0 to 4 hrs a week). The artist in residence gets 0 to 2 hrs of reserved private rehearsal time per day free of charge or additional hours at $15/hr. When not booked, the studio is shared with residents. Additionally, we have a wood-stove-heated visual art and music yurt with piano and other instruments. We have a sewing nook/craft nook that is above the studio. Outdoors (when the weather allows) we have a large covered festival stage, a rustic saloon stage, a lake with a large floating dock, a pirate ship, and 60 plus acres of woods, trails, roads and wetlands to explore.
Small private room (15’ x 9’) with a lofted bed (with bedding), desk, chair, and clothing racks. Artists may also request/propose tent camping, car camping, trailers or other personal space. Large shared kitchen space and access to bulk organic foods (grains, oils, spices, baking ingredients, etc). Commercial-size coin operated washer and dryer. Indoor and outdoor shower. Indoor toilet and outdoor composting toilets.
Sauna and hot tub (sometimes!). Community Tools (all the left handed gloves one could need). Other spaces may be available by request so let us know about your project and we will see if we can accommodate!
Some things we consider when reviewing applications for Artists in Residence:
• Clear Focus (specific, achievable goals, well thought out proposals, an envisioned finished showing)
• Artistic Experience (experience in the discipline, or a similar discipline to the proposed project)
• Fresh (Work that is contemporary, new, exciting, relevant, thought provoking)
• Experimental (New approaches or presentations, takes risks, edgy)
• Diversity (Work that is ethnically/culturally diverse, queer, or genderfuck)
• Timeline (Finding mutually available dates between you and other residencies, festivals, etc)
• Community Integration (People or projects which are community minded and complementary to our community)
• Environmentally Conscious (Projects utilizing reclaimed materials, cultivates a relationship to the land, etc.)
Projects do not need to represent all of the above to be considered.
If your project is accepted, you will become a part of our community for the duration of your stay. As with all Quarry residents, artists in residence must contribute five hours per week of community service to maintain our communal spaces. Every Sunday we pitch in at a work party that most residents attend to complete their hours.
Our Artist in Residence program costs $100 per person for a month.
Each artist residency culminates with a showing of work such as: a performance, a workshop, a publication, pop-up, or any other form of exhibition. Artist in Residence coordinators will help promote your showing through promotion on social media and our newsletter.
We prefer residencies that are 1 month in duration but we’re open to proposals for longer or shorter stays.
Artist in Residence stays are typically booked three months in advance.
Karla Mi Lugo
Billy Holiday “Impersonation” Show, Balloon Portraits, Art Installations
A Little Bit Off “Bella Culpa”
Music, Storytelling, Theatre